||Serving Size : 6
- 6 pork chops, 10 ounces each -- one-inch thick
- 1 orange -- juiced and zested
- 3 cloves garlic -- peeled and mashed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ginger -- peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup black soy sauce
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 tart apples -- peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon -- Jucied and zested
- 2 Tablespoons sake -- (I prefer to use orange juice)
- 1 Tablespoon ginger -- peeled and grated
- 1 pinch cayenne -- (I omit for kids)
1. Combine marinade and pour over chops. Marinate several hours or overnight.
2. Prepare applesauce. Place apples, sugar, lemon juice, zest, and sake (or orange juice)
in a saucepan. Heat to not quite boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until
the apples are tender, about 15 minutes, being careful not to scorch. Mash the apples with
the back of a wooden spoon, leaving lumpy. Stir in ginger and cayenne.
3. Grill chops over a medium fire about 6 to 8 minutes per side, as they are quite thick
(or broil). Serve with 3 Tbsp applesauce per serving.
NOTES : This is fine with regular or thin cut pork chops, just cook less. The original
recipe calls for 2/3 cup ketjap manis (Malaysian or Indonesian sauce) instead of the
molasses and soy sauce, but I've never found it.