||This is a lot of
meat. Feel free to cut it down or add more veggies.
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 large bunch broccoli
- 1 large carrot, peeled -- very thinly sliced
- 3 scallions
- 1 can sliced bamboo shoots (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon ginger -- finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 Tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 Tablespoon broth or water
Prepare all ingredients and have ready near stove, before begining to cook.
1. Partly freeze meat to make slicing easier, if desired. Trim any fat from meat. Cut meat
into wide strips about 1-1/2 inches across, then slice on the diagonal, across the grain,
into strips about 1/8-inch thick. Toss with marinade ingredients and set aside.
2. Trim broccoli, paring tough part of stems and slicing on diagonal, mix with carrot.
Separate head into florets. Slice green onions into 1-1/2 inh lengths. Mix sauce in small
bowl, set aside. Mix cornstarch and water, set aside.
3. Stir-fry beef in two batches. Heat wok on high, add 1 Tablespoon oil and when hot, add
1/2 beef and stir-fry until just browned, about 3 minutes. Set aside in bowl. Stir-fry
remaining beef and add to bowl.
4. Return wok to heat and add 1 Tablespoon oil. When hot add garlic and ginger and toss 10
seconds add broccoli stems, carrot and green onion, and toss for 1 minute. Add broccoli
florets, toss, and dribble in a little chicken stock or water to add steam. Toss for 2
minutes, until vegetables lose their rawness, using more liquid to steam along if needed.
Add bamboo shoots, if using.
4. Return beef to wok and add sauce. Bring to low boil and stir in a little of the
cornstarch mixture at a time, until lightly thickened and glossy.
Serve at once, with rice.